"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Wednesday 8 October 2014

High On The Music

Sixx AM, commonly referred to as Nikki Sixx's "side project," are a ban unique in their formation. Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx, producer James Michael and Guns 'n' Roses guitarist DJ Ashba got together back in 2007 to form Sixx AM, to release a one off album to accompany Sixx's heart wrenching tale, "The Heroin Diaries." Now, 7 years on the band have released their third studio album yesterday, and today announced a first headline tour. Guy's feel free to bring this to the UK please, just saying.

"The Heroin Diaries", both the book and album, is brilliant, and after hearing "Life is Beautiful" for the first time on Kerrang!'s music channel I was hooked. Years later and I still am, and can recite passages from the book, I've read it that many times. Not only does it give a pretty insane insight to drug addiction but it scares the shit out of you. A great anti-drugs tool.

Second album, "This Is Gonna Hurt," also served as an accompaniment to a book, again with the same title. This time, the book is filled with breathtaking photos taken by Sixx, with his commentary on life in general, and the stories behind the images. The lyrics from "This is Gonna Hurt" remind me a lot of the post modern culture ideals I studied at uni. Please no one ask me to explain that one, I still don't know how the hell I passed the exam.

Nikki Sixx Instagram
Now, onto "Modern Vintage," the third album, released yesterday, and I've already lost track of how many times I've actually listened to it already. Little bit obsessed maybe, but that's what I do with music. I can't actually decide on a genre that it fits into, the name itself, being an oxymoron, suggesting exactly what it sounds like. "Before It's Over" sounds like something you would have heard in decades past, or at a circus. It's not a song you'd quite expect from them but it works. A refreshing change to the usual dark and deep lyrics from Sixx AM.

"High On The Music" is the type of song that can describe the way I feel about music, that it's an addiction. The debut single from the album, "Gotta Get It Right," is an inspiring anthem that has the potential to stand the test of time. 

All in all "Modern Vintage" is a great new album from Sixx AM. It's a change in direction from their previous releases, but they still make it work for them. A lighter sound, but still with meaningful and inspiring words.


No comments:

Post a Comment