"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Monday 7 July 2014

British Summer Time at Hyde Park Review - Part 1 Soulfly

So as I said in my last post on Friday I sacrificed my need for sleep and got a 7am flight to London with my dad to go to British Summer Time at Hyde Park. Words honestly can't describe how amazing a day it was. The weather behaved itself for the first time in British history, with the sun being out in all it's glory (26 degrees, and I have the sun burn to prove it) and the rain stayed away until like 9pm, because even the rain couldn't miss out on seeing Black Sabbath!


There was three stages with various bands playing throughout the day, but with the above line up we stayed at the Great Oak Stage the whole day. With the timings being released via the BST phone app in the morning of the show we decided that none of the clashes were really worth missing the main stage for. And with only 30-45 minute breaks between the bands it was literally run to the toilet, get a (expensive) pint from the bar and fight back through the crowds.

First up was Soulfly. For Soulfly BST was the opening date on their current UK tour. What an opening act! I've only recently listened to a few of their songs prior to going to BST, so I didn't really know what to expect. I had a vague idea that it was one of the guys from Sepultura, but that was all. After a (quite literally) jumping performance at BST they are the latest band to be added to my ever growing Spotify playlist. 

With special guest Igor Cavalera (former Sepultura drummer and brother of vocalist/guitarist Max Cavalera) for a cover of Sepultura's Roots Bloody Roots it was more than just a Soulfly set. The crowd spent as much time jumping about as the band did onstage. Despite their early stage time Soulfly are a band who could easily have headlined the event, as were the other bands playing. 








No comments:

Post a Comment