"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Thursday 20 March 2014

Music Is For Everyone

A friend sent me this link a couple hours ago, and it's got me in a bit of a rage. Music should not be about gender, it's meant to be a form of escapism, a way to relax at the end of a shit day, something to inspire you or to keep you going when the bastards try to get you down.

While doing a literature search for my fourth year dissertation I came across a journal article that basically said that women are only interested in rock music because they are/want to be groupies. Now while I will admit that I think some of the guys in the bands I like are hot that is not why I listen to them. I listen to them because they make good music. I want to make a career in the music industry so I can fuck my way around rock star's but because I love music, a passion I've always had.

Take The Pretty Reckless for example, so much of the press coverage they get (and not just main stream but from music publications too) is about Taylor Momsen, the "pretty young blonde" who likes to dress provocatively, and was naked for like 20 seconds of the video for Heaven Knows. But when male band members are topless no one bats an eye. No one gives a shit that Biffy Clyro play top less all the time.

Fair enough rock music started out as a predominantly male industry, but it's the 21st Centuary. Get with it people! 

Another new discovery of mine, recently signed Glasgow band Altered Sky. Check them out. Where I Belong is a brilliant song, "If I close my eye's will I still be your fairytale?" is a line that is pretty unforgettable line, and with a female singer and drummer I wish you all the best getting people over there outdated stereotypes about music.

If anyone would like to de me a huge favour and fill out this survey as part of the research for my dissertation I will be very grateful. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment