"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Sunday 26 January 2014

Motivation

Music is like that escape that you need each day, the few minutes you get to yourself, the thing that keeps you going and the way to express yourself when you can't find the words to say it yourself. As HIM front man Ville Valo said, "A lot of that stuff people consider 'rock 'n' roll' is based on insecurity. You hide behind the flamboyance. All that excess - it's just trying to be accepted." *All opinions and interpretations of the songs are my own, these are how I feel about the songs.*

So here it is, my top ten motivational songs, and why.

  1. Papa Roach - Not Listening. As I mentioned in the last post this is the song that gets me through all my uni coursework. "Am I a failure, if I've got nothing to lose. No I'm not a failure, I've got something to prove." This song helps to keep me inspired when I feel like I'm not getting through it. A lot of the time when I do things I feel like it's not good enough, that I'm not good enough, but then I listen to this song and it makes me realise that I need to prove to myself, more than to anyone else, that I can do it, and that I can get through everything. So fuck the world, I'm not a failure, and no one else deserves to feel that 
  2. Sixx AM - Skin. "Cause they don't even know you, all they see is scars. They don't see the angel living in your heart. Let them find the real you, buried deep within. Let them know with all you've got, that you are not your skin." When people try to put you down, or judge you on what they see, fuck them. Simple as. Life is way too short for that. 
  3. Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name. When you just need angry music after a bad day. It's like a big fuck you to all the people trying to put you down, and it always makes me want to jump about like an idiot. In my opinion it's a rebellion against authority, and the brutality of institutions in the name of something.
  4. Bullet For My Valentine - All These Things I Hate. To me this song is about admitting that not all your problems are forced on you, that some of it is stuff you've caused by yourself, and that you need to learn to accept them before you can move on from them. It's about accepting that you can be at fault, and it's motivation to change, and accept yourself so others will too.
  5. Aiden - Life I Left Behind. The song is pretty much about remembering your past, and how things can be empty but that they don't lose meaning. "This life has never mad me question, is it wrong to think, how empty is the answer." You can't forget the past, you need to learn from mistakes you've made and regrets you have to become the person you should be.
  6. +44 - Baby Come On. There's a few parts of this song that always stand out to me, but essentially they all come down to the same message. "And I can always find her, at the bottom of a plastic cup. Drowning in drunk's insanity. A sad and lonely girl.", I think this is like saying that alcohol is not the answer (a message I really need to take on board) and you'll still have you're problems when you sober up. "And all my best friends will be death of me.", All my friends are a bad influence on each other, we corrupt each other and it will end us one day, simple as, but I still love them all. "The past is only the future with the lights on." You know what happened in the past (lights on) but you can't predict the future (it's in the dark) but you can change it so it doesn't resemble the past, again it's learn from mistakes and move on from the past.
  7. Escape the Fate - Live Fast, Die Beautiful. So the title of this song is pretty self explanatory. Make the most of life!
  8. Nirvana - Lithium. Like every Nirvana song it's not really about what the lyrics actually say, its about the feel and sound of the music as a whole, and although if you really listen to it, it is about Kurt Cobain being bi-polar, you can take it how you want to. To me it's motivational, "I'm not gunna crack," repeated over and over to me is saying the pressure is on but don't let it get to you, don't let it break you.
  9. Three Days Grace - Now or Never. The song is about making changes, and now is the time to do it. Don't just bitch about the problems you have, do something, and do it fast.
  10. The Subways - Friday. "This is Friday, this is my day, you can't take that from me." The song is basically, it's my weekend and you can't take it away, but the deeper meaning is that you can't let people take anything from you. And Friday is my favourite night to go out.
So some of these are more inspirational than motivational, but really we all always need some inspiration and motivation in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment