"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Sunday 15 September 2013

What's My Age Again?

So the Lion King. As well as my obsession with music and addiction to shopping I have a (probably unhealthy) obsession with the Lion King. It's my favourite film. As childish as that is I love it. It always cheers me up when I feel crap (like last night after all my stupid accidents) after a good cry when Mufasa dies.

But not only is it a great film it also teaches you valuable life lessons. Like the Circle of Life, which is also a great song. The Circle of Life, where every living thing has a contribution to the continuation of the world as we know it. "When we die, our bodies become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the great circle of life." And without the Circle of Life (like when Scar takes over) everything goes to shit. Like no food or water or anything and everything will die. But yay Simba saves the day and overthrows Scar, obviously.

Next valuable lesson, if you've got a dick of an uncle don't listen to him, especially with a name like Scar, he's clearly a bastard. Seriosly the name is kind of a give away! And he will do shitty things and blame you (kill your dad and make you believe it was you) lie to your family (tell them you died too) and then try to kill you. Stay the fuck away from him. 

Moving on from Mufasa's death :( RIP. I cry everytime I watch it, and sit there like just open your eyes, come just don't be dead. Breaks my heart. Which is stupid since I've seen it that much times I can say like every word along with it.But still. Simba later learns that even though you're family is gone they still live on in you. Cue "He Lives In You" from the sequel. 

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it." Good old Rafiki, always the wise one. The past will always hurt but you can't avoid it, you need to face up to what's happened. Running away will never help, as proved but how much Scar fucked over the pride lands. But confronting the past can help to restore the future, as seen when Simba saves the day and defeats Scar. 

And finally, Hakuna Mutata. "It means no worries, for the rest of your daaaaaays." Enough said.

Writing this has made me want to go watch it again. So addicted.

From the Lion King last night to Shrek today, I really am such a kid. Like seriously I never want to grow up, the real world is a scary place. In the infamous words of Suzanne, "Peter Panning this shit 'til we're 40." 

1 comment: