"ThePastIsOnlyTheFutureWithTheLightsOn"

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Never Have To Say Goodbye

"I'd rather die on my feet, than live my life on my knees..."
           -Papa Roach 'As Far As I Remember'

Moving on from comebacks, let's talk about farewells. As I said, Aiden's comeback tour 'The Last Sunrise' is also their farewell. Funeral For A Friend are embarking on 'The Last Chance To Dance: The Final Tour.' Farewell tours have always been a thing, for the most part they don't work. A few years down the line the bands cave in (or need money) and record a new album and tour it, or they have a reunion tour, or they pathetically cant get over the fact that Guns 'n' Roses are no longer a thing and continuously find new band members and piss all over the legend that is the band. I googled it, I can't find an example of a final tour that was indeed the final tour. I can't think of any I know of, Google doesn't know any, and we all know that if Google doesn't know then it probably isn't a thing. Please if anyone does know one share this information. There has to be one out there somewhere....


KISS

Legendary 'glam metal' band KISS embarked on a farewell tour. Just four years after their 'Reunion Tour' in 1996, with all the original line up back together, KISS went on the 'Farewell Tour,' lasting from March 2000 to March 2001. A bit of a fail of a reunion, but their farewell tour was as much of a fail. Just one year after the big goodbye KISS announced they weren't retiring. Original members Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were gone, replaced with Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer. in 2003 KISS co-headlined a tour with Aerosmith. It lasted two years. In an interview on Chris Jericho's (WWE Superstar and lead vocalist for Fozzy) podcast Paul Stanley has tried to justify the band's decision, giving insight to the tension in the band, a need to part ways with Frehley and Criss, and "Put KISS out of it's misery." 




Judas Priest

Another failed last tour. From June 2011 to May 2012 Judas Priest embarked on their final tour, Epitaph World Tour. They changed their tune and later called it the last huge world tour they'd do. They were going to take a different approach to touring. Take time off between continents. To me this is still a world tour. But it's Judas Priest so let's just let them do what they want... 

Motley Crue

This one devastated me. No more Motley Crue. Yes, that is the sound of my heart breaking. But all is not lost, my amazing dad managed to get tickets for Manchester next week so at I am at least going to see them before the end. Although if anyone wants to give me a ticket/fly me to LA for the final ever show on NYE at The Whisky a Go Go I will not complain. On January 28th 2014 Motley Crue made history by being the first band to sign a legally binding 'Cessation of Touring Agreement,' meaning they can no long tour under the name of 'Motley Crue.' This is the end. No more. And I have the feeling this one is for real. Motley Crue's Final Tour has been on going from July 2014, with remaining dates sold out. Look out for my post next week on the Final Tour. RIP Motley Crue, but all bad things must come to an end. 



Black Sabbath

Another recently announced one, due to Tony Iommi's failing health Black Sabbath are heading out on one last tour. Iommi was diagnosed with cancer in 2012, and is now at the stage where he feels retiring is the best thing for him. Understandable, it's commendable he's kept going at all. So far only the US dates of the tour have been announced, with the exception of headlining Download festival, but I am eagerly awaiting the UK dates being released.  Check out the video announcement for the final tour here. 





This leaves us to debate (Neil Young, 'Hey Hey, My, My') "It's better to burn out than fade away." So is burning out good, or just fading away? Or go with a bang, on your own terms? I say fuck it, go with a bang. Go with a big bang! Get it out there one late time, let it all out then let it go. 'Cause let's face it, no one wants to become the new Axl Rose and not know when to give the fuck up. Which was when Slash left FYI. Or now. Just please stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment